Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chemo - round 1

Today marked the beginning of my journey through Chemotherapy.  I was very nervous this week leading up to today.  I may or may not have called my Dr. for some Xanax.  I took my pre-meds last night and woke up early this morning feeling not so nervous after I took the Xanax that I may or may not have asked for.  You also have to take Benadryl the night before and the morning of (and they put it in your pre-med IV mix).  I was tired y'all.  Before we left the house this morning, I found this:
 I just love my little family.  My husband has been amazing through this journey and I just don't know what I would do without him.  He took me to the cancer center and attended a little chemo class with me which was basically my nurse sitting down with us and telling us what to expect.  He had to go to work and a few minutes later my dear friend Marianne came to sit with me for round one.  I just love this girl.  She has been amazing to me through this.  She is also hilarious which didn't hurt.  She and her husband have become some of our closest friends here in Arkansas since meeting them two years ago.  We met and just clicked instantly. We love their family and I'm so thankful for them.
 They got my meds going and Marianne and I just chatted away and the time flew by.  I was there for about 5 hours today.  It will get shorter each time as they increase the time it takes for the drugs to get into your system.  They start out slow to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction.  Next time it will take a little over 4, and will slowly creep down to about 3 hours for the last treatment.  Marianne and I talked most of the time but we also watched 90210 on my Ipad.  The original 90210.  We are both major super fans of the show.  We like to reminisce about what we used to do on Wednesday nights when we watched as teenagers.  How was that show on that long ago?
 I wore my shirt that my friend Amy sent me.  Shaun saw me and said "you aren't wearing that to chemo are you....you might offend someone?"  I said "yes I am and I don't care if someone gets offended."  I think if there is ever an appropriate time to say the F word, Cancer is it.  It's exactly how I feel and you know what, everyone loved it.
So, there you have it.  One down, five to go.  The actual part of getting the chemo wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Pretty uneventful really.  Now comes the hard part.  I'll post more in a few days to let you all know how I'm feeling.  Thank you for your prayers, thoughts, and well wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment